How to Succeed in College?
Why is academic success important?
A successful career is determined by academic success. Academically successful students have a high chance of getting well-paid jobs. In other words, academic success aligns with the positive outcomes we value (Felten and Lambert, 2020). People who are successful academically have increased self-esteem and low levels of depression, and thus they are socially inclined. In addition, those individuals who are academically successful are better planned and well-organised.
What are the ways to succeed in college?
Whether a student is about to be admitted to a college or a pursuing candidate, he needs to follow certain steps to be successful. These are discussed below as follows:
- Students must attend classes regularly, which is pivotal to academic success. When students attend classes regularly, they can clearly comprehend what is being taught in the class (Felten and Lambert, 2020). However, if they are tempted to bunk classes, they will stay caught up, and they will take time to learn about the lessons taught in the class.
- While attending classes is important, actively engaging in the learning process is also necessary for success (Edmonds, 2021). This implies that students shall participate in group discussions, ask questions if they have any doubts and answer questions the instructor asks. Active engagement provides an opportunity for better learning options.
- Students shall always strive to excel in their classes. For instance, a student can come up with new ideas about share it with the instructor. He comes across new concepts and ideas as he goes through each learning session (Felten and Lambert, 2020). While coming across such ideas, students are required to take their best step in accepting the idea. This not only helps in academics but also helps in personal life and work.
- Students, to become successful, shall stay organised, and this can be done by keeping their notes, assignments and college-related supplies in an organised manner (Stefanov and Griffiths, 2023). When a student is organised, he will only require a little time to find out his assignments, and at the same time, he will be aware of the upcoming examinations. Instead, he will know what tasks will be completed and how.
- Time management also determines the success of a college student. Managing time is necessary as students are overburdened with many projects and assignments (Stefanov and Griffiths, 2023). Thus they need to set aside time for preparing for their test or writing their assignments, and there will be no scope for cramming up. In addition to this, they can also note the due date of the assignment and the dates for the forthcoming examinations.
- Students are required to study effectively as there is no one size fit approach to it. All students have different learning styles, which helps them retain and understand their knowledge (Stefanov and Griffiths, 2023). They shall know their learning styles and experiment with different other learning styles.
- Most colleges offer a wide variety of study materials for students. However, taking class notes needs to count more (Stefanov and Griffiths, 2023). Besides this, they shall also take the help of reference books from the library related to their coursework. This will help them to perform better and fetch better marks.
- Academic advisors are assigned to students who help the students during their course of study (Edmonds, 2021). Students are advised to visit them regularly and discuss any issues they face. This will enable them to finish their degree programme hassle-free (Walsh and Milliron, 2019). In addition, students can also ask the professors for help if they face any difficulties in their studies or need suggestions for their upcoming examinations.
- While in college, students shall take time to engage themselves in group studies. In addition to this, they shall also learn to maintain their social life as well. They can spend time with peers with similar interests (Walsh and Milliron, 2019). This helps in boosting the mental health of the students, which ultimately has a positive influence on their academics.
- Students are required to attend special events, functions and seminars in their colleges. This helps them inform opinions about many academic-related things (Edmonds, 2021). Also, it assists them in critical thinking and sharpens their problem-solving skills.
- Students shall develop the skills of auditory, kinesthetic and visual learners (Walsh and Milliron, 2019). By doing so, he can improve his career, ultimately paving the way for success. By setting an academic goal, students shall develop their learning habits.
- Self-awareness, self-discipline and self-management are a must, as it contributes positively to success. Besides this, there is also a need to remove temptations while maintaining academic consistency.
Students shall also involve themselves in extracurricular activities as it helps promote mental health (Felten and Lambert, 2020). Investing too much time in academics leads to burnout, which will likely hurt academics.
- Students in college life tend to gain weight because of too much indulgence in calorie-rich and cafeteria foods. Thus students need to exercise regularly to remain physically fit. Eating too much fast food will make them fall sick, negatively impacting their academics.
- Students shall keep an eye out for internship opportunities. Internship helps in building the foundation of a student’s life. It prepares them to pursue better jobs in future (Felten and Lambert, 2020). Also, the resume looks good if the student mentions his internship from a reputed organisation.
- Students are likely to suffer from burnout under academic pressure. Students can seek therapy and counselling for mental healing in such a situation.
Why students cannot perform well in academics?
Students can only succeed in college if there is a high level of motivation. This is because motivation is regarded as an integral aspect of learning. It has also been observed that students fail to secure good marks because of an apprehension of failure. This might be the fear of decreased opportunities for getting jobs. If they persistently think about something negative, they will not be able to perform well in academics. To overcome this, students shall realistically set their own goals. Students might get diverted from academics if they have fewer interests, for example, extracurricular activities (Felten and Lambert, 2020). They fail to balance their personal and professional life, and thus their chances of failing increase. In addition, students fail because of their negligent attitude towards time management. Balancing responsibilities is a must in this regard, assisting in effective time management. Insufficient preparation also leads to failure. This can be of two types: last-minute cramming and following the wrong methods and techniques for preparation. Parental pressures, relationship challenges, and financial insecurities also act as an impediment to the path of academic success (Felten and Lambert, 2020). However, recognising life stressors take time and once identified, students can take the help of counsellors to alleviate their problems.
It is also noted that students in college life suffer from mental illnesses such as ADHD, substance abuse, anxiety, depression and behavioural problems. Sometimes these problems go unattended
or ignored their impact falls on academics (Edmonds, 2021). In addition to this, physical illness can also take a toll on their academics. Students also encounter issues with the faculty, which may arise due to the different learning styles, intimidation and incompatibility. The emergence of such a situation creates a negative impact on academics. To overcome such situations, students can communicate with their teachers, or if the problem persists, they can also switch their teachers. Insufficient ability can also affect the academic performance of students (Felten and Lambert, 2020). Feelings of shame, guilt and worthlessness define the insufficient ability of a student. Students can rely on extra prep material or attend one-to-one classes to overcome the issue. This might provide help to the students, notwithstanding their intellectual ability.
- Felten, P. and Lambert, L.M., 2020. Relationship-rich education: How human connections drive success in college. Jhu Press.
- Stefanov, A. and Griffiths, B.J., 2023. Enhancing the Success of College Algebra Students by Incorporating Adaptive Technologies. MSOR Connections, 21(3), pp.29-36.
- Walsh, S. and Milliron, M., 2019. Community colleges and the ladder of student success. T. O’Banion (Ed.), 18, pp.51-63.
- Edmonds, M. (2021).Tips for success in college.Simplified Education.
1. Why do you think academic success is important?
Ans: Academically successful Students will have a high chance of getting employed in reputable organisations with a good salary. In other words, academic success also determines long-term and short-term goals.
2. What is the impact of demotivation on academics?
Ans: College students might be demotivated if they find their educators compatible. Students may fail to follow their teaching style, which is why their academic performance in college gets hampered. In the absence of like-minded peers, students also get demotivated.
3. What, according to you, is the best way for students to succeed in college?
Ans: Effective studying and time management help students score best academically. Students can do this by being attentive in class; this shall be practised daily. Taking notes from professors, participating in seminars and events and taking the help of reference books from the library act effectively for the students to sharpen their knowledge and skills. Besides this, students shall take part in time management. This can set aside their time for preparing assignments, making notes and learning for their examinations.
4. Do you think active participation in class helps students excel academically?
Ans: Active participation helps students excel academically and succeed in college. By regularly attending classes, students can answer questions asked by the meteor, question them further in case of any difficulty, participate in group discussions, develop new ideas relevant to the topic and share them with the entire classroom. This helps sharpen their knowledge so they can score well academically.
5. Last-minute cramming affects the grade of a student. Do you agree?
Ans: It is a very obvious fact that last-minute cramming affects a student’s grade. Learning shall be done in an organised manner, and right from the beginning of academics, students shall start studying. However, that should be done strategically.
Author Bio: You can turn to Academic Assignments, your go-to source for outstanding assignment writing services, and meet Mark Edmonds, a committed expert. Mark has developed his talents in providing the highest calibre college assignment help to countless students since he is passionate about education. He offers specialised advice for college success because he is passionate about academics and is familiar with the difficulties that students encounter. Mark has a track record of academic success, and he is dedicated to enabling students to realise their full potential and succeed in their academic endeavours. Count on Mark for effective academic support.